Sunday, May 15, 2005

"Put him in a bodybag, Johnny!!!"


so i competed in my first karate tournament in 8 years today. i saw a t-shirt on eBay (no, i didn't buy it, i resisted this time) the other day that said "Cobra Kai Dojo - Put him in a bodybag!" i was cracking up at it! it would have been soooo funny to wear that to the tournament! heee heeee heeeeeee!!! i may have to get one for next time ;)

i was more excited (and a teensy bit nervous) about having the honor and pleasure of singing the national anthem (brought out the pitch pipe-you can soooo get in trouble at the end if you start too high). i didn't know ahead of time that i would have a microphone, which really helps - don't have to push so hard. anyway, so i said a quick "okay, God. it's just you and me. just worship. just help me not embarass you or me (or my Sensei)" took a deep breath, and oh say can u see me totally NAIL that high note?! (oh yeah, totally took that last note up a fifth!) i was soooo breathing a HUGE sigh of relief after that! very groovy.

i said "thank you, Jesus" and breathed much easier. off to have fun competing! i competed in Weapons (forms with weapons), Kata (empty hand forms), and Sparring (point-style fighting/light contact). it's been 8 years since i last competed in a tournament. moved around a bit, no schools of my style nearby for a while. i started back in November of last year, and just was looking to "get back on the horse," if you will. i didn't really expect to place, though thinking it would be nice. i just wanted to go out and do my best, not embarass myself or my Sensei. i wasn't even planning on competing in Weapons, because i wanted to focus on Kata and Sparring, but my Sensei convinced me thursday night to pick something i was comfortable with and go for it. he said, "You can't win if you don't compete." true. he also reminded me that this is a double point tournament (you earn pts for placing, pts earn you a national rank in my karate style's association) and there might only be 4 or 5 people in my division. 4th place and up get points. so i said what the hey and went for it.

i kind of went in with the same attitude as singing. "lord, let this just be worship. me honoring you with my gifts. just you and me out here, God. me being the best me i can be." i have never felt so calm at a karate tournament in my life. it was almost a little too calm (you know?). i had a fantastic time and it was a very groovy day! much more fun than i've ever had at a tournament, even the times i won 1st place way back in the day.

oh yeah, i guess i should explain the pictures and tell ya what you've been dying to know - i was awarded 2nd place in Weapons, 2nd place in Kata, and 3rd place in Sparring! (in my division - 18-34year old Brown/Green Belts) not too shabby for my first tourney in 8 years, eh? whoo-hoooo! totally celebrated by having my first beer in months (you bet your sweet @$$ i did! - sometimes you just gotta say screw the calories, man! i'm celebratin'!!!) while supporting one of my buddies at her first Nashville gig tonight (yay katy! you rock, girl!). then i swung by the singlefocus class cookout for some free grub and to schmooze a bit, catchin up with people. i slipped out early, cause this chicadee is doesn't get up before 8 am most days and was feelin like an early (*gasp* yes, i said early) bedtime might be in order for tonight. i'm spent. sweet dreams for sure =)

1 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Jill! You placed three times? Not too shabby!
--David

 

Post a Comment

<< Home