Monday, October 04, 2004

trickle-down theory


as we hiked saturday at Tom Sauk Mountain, the falls were more like a trickle. a little disappointing, but we were able to hike through the rocks where the falls usually run, which led to spots like the one pictured above. quiet gurgling. cool stillness. the words of an old hymn came to mind, singing themselves through the air, into my brain, reminding my heart:

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.


there, in that place, those words made sense for the first time. the writer had to be a fellow hiker. those words are never quite clear, til you're standing there with your feet on the rocks, planted in crevices, smaller versions of the clefts that can hold us, hide us.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home